Serendipity Baby Coat

ImageI decided to get ahead this year and make a winter coat for my daughter now rather than running out of time and buying one at the last minute! I bought this beautiful Anna Maria Horner Velveteen last year with the intention of making a baby coat, but didn’t have a pattern. I found the Serendipity Coat pattern by Make it Perfect which looked like a great match, and then discovered that Gail at Probably Actually had made a gorgeous one in this fabric already!

Image

The coat pattern was more straightforward than it looks, you basically cut out every piece in the lining fabric, main fabric and wadding and then tack the wadding to the main fabric. You then sew the lining and main fabrics to make two separate ‘coats’ and then sew together and turn inside out at the last minute. Unfortunately my ‘voila’ moment didn’t quite work out as the sleeves ended up sewn together incorrectly somehow! I managed to fix it by unpicking the sleeves and then sewing the lining and main fabric together from the outside instead. 

Image

I made a size 2 with size 3 sleeves, after reading Gail’s blog as well as other reviews suggesting the sleeves come out a tad tight. The velveteen definitely makes things more snug but as she will only be around 9-12 months this winter it should fit ok. It looks huge at the moment but she has still worn it a couple of times. 

The buttons were from Ebay and are a perfect match. I decided to go slightly smaller than recommended (30mm instead of 35mm) which works well with the size of the coat. 

Image

She’s a bit young to appreciate the pockets but it was a useful new skill to learn and not difficult at all. The pattern instructions were very clear and easy to follow. 

Image

I am now working on some other clothes which are more in keeping with the season! It’s good to have a head start though 🙂

Image

Camping

Image

We’ve just returned from our first ever camping trip! We went to The Secret Campsite, a beautiful site in Sussex. The owner, Tim, has done a fantastic job at making the site feel private, with  wildflowers and grass allowed to grow tall between each pitch. Although the campsite was fully booked, from our tent we couldn’t see anyone at all.

I did go a bit overboard with trip planning considering it was just for 2 nights, but having all the right equipment and preparing food in advance definitely helped to make things go smoothly. I did manage to forget to take a sharp knife though, so we ended up slicing bread etc with a very blunt plastic knife!

Image

I also decided we absolutely needed some bunting and a picnic mat, so managed to make these in 3 days before the trip. The picnic mat was made mostly with Anna Maria Horner’s Good Folks fabrics and a laminated cotton backing (Summer Totem from Loulouthi collection). It measured approx 55″ square. Due to lack of time, I didn’t bind the edges or quilt it but might tie the quilt when I get the chance. I also made bunting using the same fabric. The 2 2.5m bunting garlands went round the living area of the tent nicely.

Image

The weather was great when we arrived but we woke up to pouring rain and fairly strong winds on Saturday which left us feeling a bit apprehensive about the rest of the trip, however it cleared up enough for us to take a long walk down a disused railway path where we saw rabbits, frogs, bright blue dragonflies and a field of cows.

Unfortunately I didn’t take my SLR to save space but think I will take it next time as the scenery was so beautiful. I’m already planning our next trip!