Kids Clothes Week : Geranium Dress

Image

I made this little dress as part of Kids Clothes Week 2013, hosted over on this blog. As I mentioned previously, I always miss out on KCW but this time I was ready and prepared and have got off to a flying start!

Image

The pattern is the beautiful Geranium dress by Made by Rae. The construction is simple, with only 3 pattern pieces, so it is a great pattern for an advanced beginner. Rae gives lots of detail (and plenty of photos) in the instructions so its very easy to follow. I didn’t make any changes (I made Dress B) but in order to get a neat finish on the waist, I basted my lining after pinning so I could take the pins out before sewing in the ditch on the outside. I also basted a line of stitching to mark the hemline so I could make sure I had a neat and straight hem.

Image

These buttons are simple but have a nice art deco shell detail. Buttonholes are not my strong point but they turned out ok. My Pfaff machine has a really simple method of doing the buttonholes so its just a matter of ensuring they are all the same size (which they nearly are!).

Image

The fabric makes it really special – its an Indian block printed fabric from Lulu and Nat. The colours and details in the print are wonderful, it looks so summery! They have a great selection of ready made bedding and other items too.

I have lots of other projects to get through, the weather is lovely though so I’m not sure I’ll manage them all!

New dress

I wanted to make Rosie a new baby dress as she outgrew her Itty Bitty Dress instantly. She only wore it once when she was three days old! I decided on making an infant peasant dress using this pattern, but she barely fit into that at six weeks, so I decided to enlarge the pattern on the printer and used that instead to make a 3-6 month size. I’m also thinking of buying the pattern as it is a really simple yet satisfying project!

I decided to use this beautiful print from the Andalusia range by Patty Young as it is girly without being pink. By a happy coincidence, her vest matched perfectly. 

It used about half a yard of fabric, but I had to sew two scraps together to make the second sleeve. I don’t think it’s too noticeable though. Using the overlocker made this project incredibly quick – it took 45 mins max!

Lilac Baby Dress

This dress, from Anna Maria Horner’s Handmade Beginnings book, amazingly only took one day to cut out and make. It would have taken even less time if I hadn’t messed up and cut out a smaller pattern piece for the skirt thus running out of fabric and having to patch together pieces the right size for the back!

The fabric is Little Folks, the line I used for this quilt (which is basically finished, I will photograph soon!). It’s ideal for making baby clothes, as its so light and silky, but at the same time machine washable. I thought about lining the skirt too but I’m happy with the unlined original version too. It would be cute with a tulle lining too.

I learned how to do French seams which I had been needlessly worried about – I think I had been mixing them up with Hong Kong seams (where bias tape is used to cover the raw edges) and also attaching elastic to the waist using zigzag stitch.

Mmm..strawberries!

So I finished nights yesterday morning (amazingly got to sleep most of the night too) so I decided to make a little something for my cousin’s new baby daughter. First up is a pair of faux suede Mary Janes – made from some Designers Guild fabric I picked up to make cushions ages ago:

I have to say, these were not much fun to make. I found the pattern a bit frustrating and fiddly, which is not good when you’re a bit sleep-deprived. There’s also the stress of making sure both look nearly exactly the same. The fabric is beautiful though and the red is a perfect, pillar box red. The straps are made from linen bias binding which you can find here.

I lined the shoes in the same Heather Bailey fabric I used for the dress:

I edged the dress in the linen bias binding too. Now I need to find some pretty buttons!