Kids Clothes Week : Ice Cream Top

Image

A quick post because I have to go out now, but here is an Ice Cream Top from the Oliver + S pattern. I’ve made an identical top to this before for my sister’s baby, so they both have cute matching clothes! Unfortunately, my niece is thousands of miles away in Egypt so I can’t take photos of them together!

Image

 

 

I’ve made a few of these now, there are only 3 pattern pieces to cut (including the button loop) which makes it very quick to prepare. I love this beautiful Nani Iro print, perfect for spring. 

Image

 

 

Image

I found the top is long enough to wear as a dress for now, although it is loose around the neck still. I made the 6-12 month size and my baby is 3 months. 

Image

They match really well with her Zara jeans! Unfortunately she will grow out of them before she grows into the top. 

Kids Clothes Week : Star Pyjamas

Image

I finished these this morning – another quick and easy project. These are the pyjama bottoms from Sewing for Boys. I made them before and I love the fact they have extra length in the hem – my son is still wearing the ones I made a year ago! The flannel fabric really stands up well to repeated washing. 

Image

We just had time for a couple of quick snaps before school – these were taken before folding the hem. The pattern says to use bar tacks but I find it neater to just hand sew the inside of the hem after folding. I also used my overlocker to finish the edges then sewed 1/4″ either side of the seam to make a more durable hem. 

Image

Kids Clothes Week : Geranium Dress

Image

I made this little dress as part of Kids Clothes Week 2013, hosted over on this blog. As I mentioned previously, I always miss out on KCW but this time I was ready and prepared and have got off to a flying start!

Image

The pattern is the beautiful Geranium dress by Made by Rae. The construction is simple, with only 3 pattern pieces, so it is a great pattern for an advanced beginner. Rae gives lots of detail (and plenty of photos) in the instructions so its very easy to follow. I didn’t make any changes (I made Dress B) but in order to get a neat finish on the waist, I basted my lining after pinning so I could take the pins out before sewing in the ditch on the outside. I also basted a line of stitching to mark the hemline so I could make sure I had a neat and straight hem.

Image

These buttons are simple but have a nice art deco shell detail. Buttonholes are not my strong point but they turned out ok. My Pfaff machine has a really simple method of doing the buttonholes so its just a matter of ensuring they are all the same size (which they nearly are!).

Image

The fabric makes it really special – its an Indian block printed fabric from Lulu and Nat. The colours and details in the print are wonderful, it looks so summery! They have a great selection of ready made bedding and other items too.

I have lots of other projects to get through, the weather is lovely though so I’m not sure I’ll manage them all!