Kids Clothes Week : Geranium Dress

Image

I made this little dress as part of Kids Clothes Week 2013, hosted over on this blog. As I mentioned previously, I always miss out on KCW but this time I was ready and prepared and have got off to a flying start!

Image

The pattern is the beautiful Geranium dress by Made by Rae. The construction is simple, with only 3 pattern pieces, so it is a great pattern for an advanced beginner. Rae gives lots of detail (and plenty of photos) in the instructions so its very easy to follow. I didn’t make any changes (I made Dress B) but in order to get a neat finish on the waist, I basted my lining after pinning so I could take the pins out before sewing in the ditch on the outside. I also basted a line of stitching to mark the hemline so I could make sure I had a neat and straight hem.

Image

These buttons are simple but have a nice art deco shell detail. Buttonholes are not my strong point but they turned out ok. My Pfaff machine has a really simple method of doing the buttonholes so its just a matter of ensuring they are all the same size (which they nearly are!).

Image

The fabric makes it really special – its an Indian block printed fabric from Lulu and Nat. The colours and details in the print are wonderful, it looks so summery! They have a great selection of ready made bedding and other items too.

I have lots of other projects to get through, the weather is lovely though so I’m not sure I’ll manage them all!

Toddler Backpack

I finished this Toddler Backpack a couple of weeks ago. It’s made using the pattern from Made by Rae, and the fabric is Echino by Etsuko Furuya which I had bought especially for this project from The Eternal Maker at Alexandra Palace.

I sat up watching silly teen films until 4am and managed to get the whole thing finished in one night. I had already cut out most of the pieces before, and only started at around 10.30pm so it didn’t take too long in all. The binding is by no means perfect but overall I’m really pleased with it, and more importantly, so is my son. It’s usually loaded to the brim with Thomas and other engines.

I plan to line the bag according to the recent pattern add-on provided by Rae. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow – the only modification was to use fusible interfacing on all pieces. This made the straps a bit difficult to sew to the bag clasps, but I managed it after a bit of battling with all the layers.

 

I have plans for another one in a different colour of the same print for his cousin (a girl) – they are great friends and will look so cute in the summer with their bags!