Liberty Painted Portrait Dress

It’s been a little while since I made this dress but it has a springy palette so provided the weather improves, it should get some wear soon!

dsc_1131

This dress is made entirely in Liberty Tana lawn. The main fabric is Tuesday Trees, which was designed by Lauren Child (the creator of Charlie and Lola). It’s a pretty print with a hint of colour, just enough to complement the patchwork panel.

dsc_1128

The pattern is the Painted Portrait Dress by Anna Maria Horner. I purchased both the pattern and fabric quite a few years ago and it is wonderful to actually see them made up into something wearable finally.

dsc_1124

I used a variety of prints to make up the panel, which was actually very easy to sew. I found it a bit tricky to attach the side panels to the main bodice and had to reduce a bit of the fullness to get it to fit in. The fitting is still fine, I made a size Small.

 

dsc_0872

My only regret is not making the sleeves full length, as it would be much more practical for me in the summer.  I even considered remaking the sleeves but didn’t want to unpick all my stitching and overlocking. This may be an option still if it annoys me enough! But overall I’m very happy with the style and fabric combination, it’s something that would catch my eye if I saw it in the shops and it is comfortable and light to wear (once the weather cheers up!)

 

 

Waterfall Raglan Dress and Top

I managed to send off both my giveaway packages this week, thanks to everyone who took part on Instagram. I made this patchwork pouch out of a stack of my favourite Anna Maria Horner prints using the In Color Order Lined Drawstring Bag tutorial . It took a bit of time as I haven’t done any patchwork in a long time but I really enjoyed the process and love the result.

DSC_1201

I used a pink and red striped Tula Pink print for the top of the bag which I think complements the colours nicely. I hope its new owner enjoys using it, and I’m thinking of making another one for myself.

DSC_1203

I’ve been meaning to share this top for a little while, its the Waterfall Raglan by Chalk and Notch patterns. I made both the top and dress versions for my daughter.

File 19-03-2017, 12 58 12

I used a beautiful Art Gallery Fabrics knit for this. The fabric is from the Fleet and Flourish collection  by Maureen Cracknell and is called Swifting Flora Fond.

DSC_1214

I cut a size 5 for my daughter and it fits her well with some room to grow (she is just over 4 but quite tall).

DSC_1218

The loose style of the top looks great over trousers. She doesn’t have many tops at the moment so I am planning to make a few more using this pattern.

File 19-03-2017, 12 59 38

I made the dress using a jersey which is overlaid with a cream corded lace which I bought from Simply Fabrics in Brixton.

Waterfall1

At first I thought the fabric would be fine to use as it has a jersey base but when I did the stretch test I found that it only had about 20% stretch due to the lace which is bonded on to the jersey. When I initially sewed the sleeves they were a bit tight so I unpicked and sewed them again using a 1/4 inch seam instead, which gave a bit of extra room.

waterfall4

I also  used a thinner fabric to make the facing for the neckline and turned that inwards which made the neckhole a bit bigger. waterfall3

It’s a great dress for twirling in and the fabric makes it special. I also bought some velvet as I have seen some beautiful velvet versions online too.

waterfall2

 

2D Zoo Quilt

I made this quilt recently for my friend’s new baby. I bought the fat quarter set with the intention of making a baby quilt some time ago because I really love the Alexander Henry 2d Zoo print in the primary colourway and thought the coordinating fabrics were a great match.

I backed it with a piece of linen cotton I bought from Namolio on Etsy ages ago (I think at least 6 years!). It has a lovely wobbly red stripe across the back which matched beautifully with the red on the front. I also tried the Cluck Cluck Sew machine binding method to save some time and was pleasantly surprised by how neat and quick it was! I think I will use this technique on my huge Patchwork Prism quilt which I was not looking forward to binding!

I gave the quilt with a pair of little trousers I made using the pattern from Handmade Beginnings.

 

I have since had a couple of requests for similar quilts but there is no 2D Zoo in the primary available in the UK! I enjoyed using my stash as a resource to make a practical and well received gift.